Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Week 5: Transfer Week

New Transfer!

Pacing car for transfer

I got transferred last week. The way they do transfers is rather odd. They call you a couple of days before transfer meeting to tell you if you are getting transferred or not, so you can begin packing. Then you find out at the meeting a couple of days later where you are getting transferred, and who your new companion is.
I love my old companions Elder Eyring and Elder Wang. They help me set really good precedents for my mission. They taught me a ton. Elder Eyring did not get transferred. Elder Wang got transferred kind of far away and I don't get to see him often anymore.
I got transferred to an area called Footscray. My new companion is Elder Basset.

Footscray Station

Elder Basset is awesome. He has 2 transfers left on his mission. He learned Chinese on his mission, and he knows the language very very well. He can also read and write characters. He loves to help me with the language (Which is coming along well). He is also a great teacher. Teaching skills are so important.
Speaking of the language, up to this point, I have gotten 3 people's contact information completely in Chinese (That number would be higher if people didn't mix Chinese with English, but they often do). I also have done quite a few phone calls in Chinese. The amount that I understand really depends on the subject. If it's church things, I can understand 70% or more. So I still have a long way to go.
Footscray is known as the "dodgy area" but it's honestly not bad at all. It is about 12 minutes west of the city. So it's a lot more suburb-like than my last transfer. There are not many good areas for finding here. We did a lot of finding this week, most of which was in train stations. It is a little easier to talk to someone in a train station, rather than while they are walking. People that are already waiting are more willing to have a conversation.
The weather here is bipolar. Yesterday it was over (40C) 100F. Today it is in the 70s. The other good thing about finding in train stations is that some of them are underground, and we can get from station to station quickly.
And I saved the best news for last. There is an investigator named Chen jie mae. Elder Basset has been teaching her since last transfer, and I got to teach a lesson with here. She got interviewed this Sunday, and she is getting baptized. She is a really good investigator. She is from China, and has a little daughter.
Her baptism is scheduled for next Sunday.

This picture is take at Flinder's Station, a famous train station.

Exoskeleton Car

No comments:

Post a Comment